Monday 24 March 2014

I Can See Clearly Now


The theme over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge this week is "Transparent".  I opted to focus on the transparent areas of stamped images and tissue tape for this card, which I made for a friend's birthday.  Why not create something for the Challenge and you could be the winner of a $50 voucher to shop at Simon Says Stamp.

I started out by misting my cardstock with water before dabbing distress stains onto it in Mustard Seed, Fired Brick and Iced Spruce.  I used black archival ink to stamp the images on top.  The bottom half was white card that I misted with water and rubbed with Mustard Seed stain.  While it was still wet I dripped drops of Fired Brick stain onto the wet card which then bled outwards to create my flower heads.  Once it was dry I used a white pen for the flower centres and a peeled paint distress marker to draw the stems.  I used archival black ink to stamp the phrase from the Simon Says Stamp exclusive stamp set Inside & Out Sayings.

I applied two strips of Merriment tape the the top part of my card, I love how when you place it on a patterned background the white areas of the tape become almost transparent.  Next I tore the sentiment section and fixed it in place before finally matting the whole thing onto gold mirri card (I know it looks black here, but you know how difficult it is to photograph gold!).

Finally the whole thing was mounted on a 5x5 card blank.

Supplies I used included:

Our ever-generous sponsor Simon Says Stamp is offering a $50 gift voucher as the prize again this week, just make something for the challenge and you could the winner! The winner will be chosen at random from those who enter the challenge, so why not give it a try? At the very least why not head over to the Challenge Blog to see how the other members of the design team have interpreted this weeks theme! :)

50dollar_voucher_600px










Don't forget, Simon Says Stamp have a great Facebook page too!  Check them out here!

14 comments :

misteejay said...

I love the colours Dan.

My splats never look like splats they always end up a mess.

Great card.

Toni xx

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Hi Dan, love your wow flowers in this design and your transparent element. That sentiment is fabulous. Tracy x

May said...

very clever use of the challenge Dan! Really enjoying the bold colors + 'transparent' areas of the stamps as well. Great work as always!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Neat techniques and cool concept of the theme!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Mona Pendleton said...

Fantastic Dan! Awesome mixed media piece!

Meihsia Liu said...

Love the beautiful colors and patterns you created on this piece, Dan. Fabulous! :)

Suzanne C said...

I love the colors! Striking design and beautiful!

Emma Williams said...

Fantastic project Dan and I love the colours you've chosen to use...very striking work!! :)

Candy C said...

Beautiful project, Dan. Love your use of bold colors and the transparency. <3 Candy

Susan (rainy) said...

Oh my gosh! This is seriously gorgeous!!

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

Wow, Dan! This piece is a serious work of art! I really like how you went with a bold colors and your use of Washi was quite genius. It's always thrilling to see what you've come up with.

barbarayaya62 said...

DAn your use of transparent elements is so original and clever! I love the splatters and the way you've used tissue tape! beautifuk work as always! Barbarayaya

Unknown said...

What great inspiration,awe some transparency. Thank you for sharing.

Anna-Karin said...

Great project Dan! Love the colours, patterns and sentiment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails